CACFO UK has been running a Summer School for over a decade at 40 Northwood Road, Thornton Heath CR7 8HQ.
This year we ran a free programme from Monday 9 August to Friday 27 August, 10am-3pm Monday to Friday for 30 young people on Free School Meals, as part of the Holiday Activities and Food Programme. We will be back again next year.
When launching the programme CACFO UK Chairman, Cllr. Callton Young, said ‘We use experienced teachers and staff and have a good track record of success. For the past 10 years we have had to charge all pupils coming to CACFO Summer School. However following the efforts of footballer Marcus Rashford, resulting in the introduction of the Holiday Activities and Food Programme, we are now able to provide places to children on free school meals free of charge. This will make it easier for CACFO to help local children whatever their circumstances to stay fed, active and positive over the summer holidays.
‘Our Summer School will also help to enrich young people’s lives through empowerment sessions, designed to inspire self-belief, and by providing opportunities for those interested to learn more about Black British History and the contribution of the Windrush Generation to British life.’ Moreover, it will enable young people to stay safe and have fun throughout the summer holidays. We have a few places left and want to hear from new applicants’.
Summer School 2021 entailed three weeks of fun and engaging activities, trips and workshops for young people, boys and girls, aged 10-16.
Sports and Fitness such as:
- ‘Get Football’ coaching from an FA approved coach
- ‘Get Boxing’ coaching for strength and fitness
- Mobility training to make young people stronger, faster and fitter
- Learning how the body works to enable young people to be better able to look after themselves and understand the connection between sport, team work and leadership
Music Production, including learning how to:
- Use production and recording equipment such as Logic Pro X
- Produce music to moving images using midi keyboards and thousands of loops.
- Set up a mini music studio and record vocals to a well-known instrumental
- Create a CD/MP3 and design a front cover
A Summer Art Programme, including learning:
- Creative 3D art skills using clay and alternative materials
- Drawing skills (for beginners and the more experienced)
- Painting skills (for beginners and the more experienced)
- Sculpting skills (for beginners and the more experienced)
Healthy body, Sustainable planet, including:
- Learning what is in the food we eat and how to create a healthy diet
- Making nutritious snacks and learning about how to adopt diet to be healthier
- Seeing how food is grown at allotments by local residents and growing runner beans to take home
- Learning about sustainability and how everyone can help to look after the planet
Entertainment and Trips including:
- Day trips
- Film club to reinforce positive messages through movies
- Entertainment from local actress Miss Saleah about the Windrush generation coming to England
- Other entertainment, weather permitting in Croydon Windrush Garden
Summer School 2021 was free for young people on Free School Meals and a nominal charge is applicable for others.
The collage opposite shows some activities from our last Summer School which included rock wall climbing, a farm trip, Go Karting and much more.
Testimonials from our children say it all:
‘Summer school is amazing and the staff were very helpful and kind. Its a place where you can go and have fun!’ Amani S
‘You get to do fun stuff, trips, drama and art!’ Keeyan T
One mother who moved her child to us from another club fed-back that ‘Elijah said he did not have a good day today … He had a GREAT day! I’m so pleased this club worked out for him!’
Check out our picture galleries below to get a flavour of what the children get up to during day trips, when doing arts & crafts, enjoying the great outdoors, learning music and dance or being put through their academic paces.
Arts & Crafts
The Great Outdoors
Music & Dance
Academic & Practical Skills
CACFO Summer School Team 2019